TD Divisional News
Please Take Notice
In compliance with AOSC21-15 & AO No.: 12.515-06/2021, the Court has begun transitioning back to conducting in-person hearings in Courtroom 2C. During this transition, the Court will continue to conduct hearings both in-person as well as on Zoom.
Beginning June 21, 2021, all hearings will be set LIVE. This means that only cases presently set on ZOOM will remain on ZOOM.
If the Notice of Hearing says ZOOM, the parties may appear on ZOOM.
If the Notice of Hearing says LIVE, then the hearing will proceed Live and in Person in Courtroom 2C
Requests to hold a hearing remotely or to appear remotely for a LIVE hearing must be made by filing a written motion and setting a hearing by contacting the Court's Judicial Assistant, Yvette Deas.
Zoom Meeting Information
Meeting Link: Zoom Link
Meeting ID:848 2457 1943
If unable to appear on Video in Zoom, and video appearance is not required, call toll free as follows:
- US Toll-free 877-853-5257
- US Toll-free 888-475-4499
When prompted enter Meeting ID, 848 2457 1943, no password is required. See Zoom Instructions if you have any questions on how to use Zoom.
When Appearing for Remote Hearings:
- Please be patient when checking in and be mindful that there are often multiple hearings set at one time.
- Please reduce or eliminate background noise and turn off or mute other electronic devices.
- Participants should properly identify themselves at beginning of hearing and/or when checking in with the Judicial Assistant.
Morning Court will be set at staggered times as follows:
- 8:30 AM & 9:30 AM: During these times the Court will hear Plea Conferences, Status Checks, and Case Dispositions. In Custody Defendants will not be transported for Status Checks and Case Dispositions unless the Court is advised that the case will be resolving. Please submit the appropriate transport orders to the Court in such cases.
- 10:30 AM: Bond Motions, Motions to Modify(Not involving DCF), and all other routine motions. Please advise the Court if your motion will take more than 15 minutes such that we may schedule hearings accordingly.
- ALL MOTION HEARINGS MUST BE SET BY CONTACTING THE COURT'S JUDICIAL ASSISTANT AS EXPLAINED BELOW. Motions may not be added to the morning docket without Court Approval, motions not approved by the Court will be removed from the docket. If an attorney is waiving a clients presence for any hearing a written waiver, in compliance with the rules, must be filed with the clerk.
- Parties SHALL schedule ALL motion hearings by contacting Yvette Deas, Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- The Moving party SHALL properly file the Notice of Hearing.
- In keeping with professional courtesy, any party scheduling a hearing shall make reasonable efforts to contact the opposing party/counsel for availability or scheduling conflicts. Please file your Motion with the Clerk of Court and then submit a courtesy copy of the Motion as a "PDF" to the court by email.
- All parties shall abide by Local Rule 4 to try to resolve the matter and certify the good faith attempt to resolve on the Notice of Hearing.
- All case law and written responses upon which the parties intend to rely for their scheduled hearings must be filed and/or provided to the Court at least two (2) business days in advance of the hearing by hand or via email to CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- If an attorney is waiving a clients presence for any hearing a written waiver, in compliance with the rules, must be filed with the clerk.
Motions to Modify No Contact Orders
- Parties SHALL schedule ALL motions to modify by contacting Yvette Deas, Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- If the case involves modifying the no contact with a minor child the Defendant SHALL contact Yvette Deas, Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org to obtain the contact information for DCF as well as to set the hearing.
- Hearings regarding motions to modify no contact with the minor child/children are heard on Mondays at 1:30 PM. The hearing will not proceed without a DCF recommendation. If they are set prior to the Court receiving the DCF recommendation they will be struck from the calendar.
DVTD Calendar Call & Jury Trial Dates
The following are the scheduled Calendar Call dates and dates for Jury Trials for Division DVTD. This will be updated as dates are added.
Friday, July 1 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning July 20, 2021
Friday, July 9, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning July 27, 2021.
Friday, July 23, 2021 for a THREE WEEK trial period beginning August 10, 2021
Friday August 13, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning August 31, 2021
Friday August 27, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning September 14, 2021
Friday September 10, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning September 28, 2021
- All discovery, including reciprocal discovery, shall be completed 7 days prior to Calendar Call.
- If the parties plan to resolve the case by plea negotiation, the parties may contact the Court to convert the Calendar Call to an in-person plea conference. Absent good cause as determined by the Court, a negotiated plea will not be accepted after the Calendar Call.
- All pretrial motions must be in writing. Generic motions (including motions which fail to include a factual recitation or which simply provide "facts to be presented or argued at hearing") are not permitted.
- As per the Court’s Divisional Instructions, all evidentiary motions and motions in limine requiring more than 5 minutes per side must be filed and brought to the Court’s attention no later than 7 days prior to Calendar Call.
- The parties are charged with good faith cooperation to prepare and provide to the Court the day prior to jury selection:
- A short statement of the case to be read to the jury
- A set or sets of proposed jury instructions in including any special instructions in WORD format
- Any stipulations regarding facts and evidence
- All exhibits shall be pre-marked
Pro Se litigants that have access to email are encouraged to fill out and file with the Clerk an email designation form. This will allow the Court to submit orders to the parties via email instead of sending in the U.S. Postal Service which will greatly reduce the time for the parties communication with each other and the Court.
All agreed and proposed orders must be submitted through the Online Scheduling System.
Court Provider Information
Please Contact Eric Thompson at email@example.com for questions and/or information regarding Court Approved Providers.
View the Court Approved Batterers Intervention Program Providers listing.
To be eligible for the sliding scale, a social security earnings statement must be provided.
This document can be obtained free of charge through the SSA website at www.ssa.gov/myaccount
Questions and Advice
Neither the Judge nor the Judicial Assistant can give legal advice regarding how to proceed with the case. For assistance, you can contact the Self-Help Center at 561-355-6781 located on the first floor of the Main West Palm Beach Courthouse or visit the self-service center in the Clerk's Office in the Satellite Courthouses. Additionally, the Palm Beach County Bar Association has a lawyer referral and information service at 561-687-3266.