Please Take Notice
Please refer to the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Website for the latest updates and Administrative Orders regarding COVID-19.
Most proceedings are being held in person. Requests to hold a hearing remotely or to appear remotely for a LIVE hearing must be made at the time the hearing is set in open court or by filing a written motion via OLS as well as emailing a courtesy copy to the Court's Judicial Assistant, CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
Remote hearings for morning court will be set on the 9:30 AM Docket.
In emergency situations,such as exposure and/or illness from Covid-19, please notify the Court as soon as possible of a request to appear via Zoom by emailing the Courts Judicial Assistant, CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
Zoom Meeting Information
Meeting Link: Zoom Link
Meeting ID:848 2457 1943
If unable to appear on Video in Zoom, and video appearance is not required, call toll free as follows:
- US Toll-free 877-853-5257
- US Toll-free 888-475-4499
When prompted enter Meeting ID, 848 2457 1943, no password is required. See Zoom Instructions if you have any questions on how to use Zoom.
When Appearing for Remote Hearings:
- Please be patient when checking in and be mindful that there are often multiple hearings set at one time.
- Please reduce or eliminate background noise and turn off or mute other electronic devices.
- Participants should properly identify themselves at beginning of hearing and/or when checking in with the Judicial Assistant.
Morning Court will be set at staggered times as follows:
- 8:30 AM & 9:30 AM: During these times the Court will hear Plea Conferences, Status Checks, and Case Dispositions. In Custody Defendants will not be transported for Status Checks and Case Dispositions unless the Court is advised that the case will be resolving. Please submit the appropriate transport orders to the Court in such cases.
- 10:30 AM: Bond Motions, Motions to Modify(Not involving DCF), and all other routine motions lasting more than 5 minutes. Please advise the Court if your motion will take more than 15 minutes such that we may schedule hearings accordingly.
- ALL MOTION HEARINGS MUST BE SET BY CONTACTING THE COURT'S JUDICIAL ASSISTANT AS EXPLAINED BELOW. Motions may not be added to the morning docket without Court Approval, motions not approved by the Court will be removed from the docket. If an attorney is waiving a clients presence for any hearing a written waiver, in compliance with the rules, must be filed with the clerk.
- Parties SHALL schedule ALL motion hearings by contacting the Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- The Moving party SHALL properly file the Notice of Hearing.
- In keeping with professional courtesy, any party scheduling a hearing shall make reasonable efforts to contact the opposing party/counsel for availability or scheduling conflicts. Please file your Motion with the Clerk of Court and then submit a courtesy copy of the Motion as a "PDF" to the court by email.
- All parties shall abide by Local Rule 4 to try to resolve the matter and certify the good faith attempt to resolve on the Notice of Hearing.
- All case law and written responses upon which the parties intend to rely for their scheduled hearings must be filed and/or provided to the Court at least two (2) business days in advance of the hearing by hand or via email to CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- If an attorney is waiving a clients presence for any hearing a written waiver, in compliance with the rules, must be filed with the clerk.
Motions to Modify No Contact Orders
- Parties SHALL schedule ALL motions to modify by contacting the Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org.
- If the case involves modifying the no contact with a minor child the Defendant SHALL contact the Judicial Assistant to Judge Surber, at CAD-divisionDVTD@pbcgov.org to obtain the contact information for DCF as well as to set the hearing.
- Hearings regarding motions to modify no contact with the minor child/children are heard on Thursdays at 1:30 PM.
- To request a DCF recommendation please email Neela.Dass@myflfamilies.com and send a courtesy copy to her supervisor, Lindsey Guzman at firstname.lastname@example.org. The request for a DCF recommendation should include the DVTD Case #, the full names and date of births for the Defendant, the victim, and all minor children. This is to ensure accuracy in locating the family on the DCF DATA base. Hearings will only be set once the parties have requested the recommendation. The Party setting the hearing is responsible for providing a notice of hearing to Ms. Dass to ensure her attendance at the hearing.
- The hearing will not proceed without a DCF recommendation. If they are set prior to the Court receiving the DCF recommendation and without notice to DCF, the hearing will be struck from the calendar.
DVTD Calendar Call & Jury Trial Dates
Calendar calls are held live. The following are the scheduled Calendar Call dates and dates for Jury Trials for Division DVTD. This will be updated as dates are added.
Friday October 22, 2021 for a ONE WEEK trial period beginning November 9, 2021
Friday November 5, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning November 23, 2021
Friday November 19, 2021 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning December 7, 2021
Friday December 17, 2021 for a THREE WEEK trial period beginning January 4, 2022
Friday January 14, 2022 for a TWO WEEK trial period beginning February 1, 2022.
The priority order for trying cases is:
- speedy trial not waived, defendant in custody;
- speedy trial not waived, defendant not in custody;
- oldest case, defendant in custody;
- oldest case, defendant not in custody.
- All discovery, including reciprocal discovery, shall be completed 7 days prior to Calendar Call.
- If the parties plan to resolve the case by plea negotiation, the parties may contact the Court to convert the Calendar Call to an in-person plea conference. Absent good cause as determined by the Court, a negotiated plea will not be accepted after the Calendar Call.
- All pretrial motions must be in writing. Generic motions (including motions which fail to include a factual recitation or which simply provide "facts to be presented or argued at hearing") are not permitted.
- As per the Court’s Divisional Instructions, all evidentiary motions and motions in limine requiring more than 5 minutes per side must be filed and brought to the Court’s attention no later than 7 days prior to Calendar Call.
- The parties are charged with good faith cooperation to prepare and provide to the Court the day prior to jury selection:
- A set or sets of proposed jury instructions in including any special instructions in WORD format
- Any stipulations regarding facts and evidence
- All exhibits shall be pre-marked
Injunctions hearing are heard on Mondays at 2 PM in Courtroom 2c. Please Contact Eric Thompson at email@example.com for questions and/or information regarding Injunction hearings. This includes questions regarding requesting a continuance or specially setting a hearing regarding a continuance.
Pro Se litigants that have access to email are encouraged to fill out and file with the Clerk an email designation form. This will allow the Court to submit orders to the parties via email instead of sending in the U.S. Postal Service which will greatly reduce the time for the parties communication with each other and the Court.
All agreed and proposed orders must be submitted through the Online Scheduling System.
Court Provider Information
Please Contact Eric Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions and/or information regarding Court Approved Providers.
View the Court Approved Batterers Intervention Program Providers listing.
To be eligible for the sliding scale, a social security earnings statement must be provided.
This document can be obtained free of charge through the SSA website at www.ssa.gov/myaccount
Questions and Advice
Neither the Judge nor the Judicial Assistant can give legal advice regarding how to proceed with the case. For assistance, you can contact the Self-Help Center at 561-355-6781 located on the first floor of the Main West Palm Beach Courthouse or visit the self-service center in the Clerk's Office in the Satellite Courthouses. Additionally, the Palm Beach County Bar Association has a lawyer referral and information service at 561-687-3266.